March 27, 2010

Week 5. Little Women (1933)

4 ¾ STARS - TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

“I loved it!!  It’s a classic story.  It makes me feel warm inside.  It’s like this romantic sad story.”--Syd

The Film:  The classic Louisa May Alcott story of young women as they move into adulthood while their father--he affectionately calls them his “little women”--is off fighting in the Civil War.  Despite wartime deprivations and anxieties, the girls find joy, sorrow, love and fun.  The drama centers around Jo (Katherine Hepburn) who must decide between marrying her best friend or striking out for a career as a writer.  Hepburn is still a young and inexperienced actress, but her range and charisma leap off the screen.


The Society:  Finally, we got Syd hooked!  Also, we knew this had Stacy’s vote.  It’s one of her all-time favorite.  After all, isn’t this the archetypal chick flick.  It’s also a heartwarming, hearth-and-home movie of the simple joys and sorrows of everyday life.  It‘s no intense battle of good and evil, as so much movie fare tends to be.   Turns out even restrained Kayla Jo gave it a backhanded thumbs up--note the “4.75” stars--she insists on holding out, even if just a little.  Sydney, of course, was our big crier, as disconsolate as ever.  At the end, she announced with her usual dramatic emphasis, “This is my FAVORITE movie.  We HAVE to own it.”  Chick flicks never die.  They just lay in wait for the next generation.  Okay, okay--yes, Dad’s eyes did well up, just a little. 

The Family Vote:

Kenz - 5 Stars - Why pick Professor Bhaer?!--gag!  If I were Jo, I’d be like, “Heck yeah, Laurie, let’s get hitched!”

Syd - 5+ Stars - I loved it!!  It’s a classic story.  It makes me feel warm inside.  It’s like this romantic sad story.

Kayla - 4.75 Stars -

Stacy - 5 Stars - One of my favorite movies ever.  I have seen this several times before and I like it so much more than the new version with Wynona Rider.  “Jo” is my middle name so I always had a connection to her.

Ladd - 4 Stars - Easy to see why Kate Hepburn holds the record for most Academy Awards for Best Actress (4), and is the runner-up only to Meryl Streep for most nominations (12).  Hepburn chews up the scenery and spits it out!

Thanks for Dinner, Mom!
Theme - tea party, as in the movie. 
            I struggled with what to fix for dinner.  Ended up with a tea party as they drank a lot of tea.  Borrowed my friend’s old tea set.

Good Earth chai tea
Hot chocolate
Biscuits
Jam
Oranges
Sausages
Eggs

No comments: