May 2, 2010

Week 10. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

4.6 STARS - REEEALLY GOOD!!

“It’s way different than the Disney one.  It does not include animals.” --Sydney

The Film:  A familiar tale done up in the still-new Technicolor process that uses three layers of different colored film.  The conniving Prince John (Basil Rathbone) tries to usurp King Richard the Lion-Heart’s (Ian Hunter) throne while he’s away Crusading.  John, a Norman, oppresses the Saxon underclass with heavy taxes and heavier-handed law enforcement.  Earl Robin of Locksley, himself a knight, wages a guerilla war to overthrow John’s rule and improve the lot of his fellow Saxons.  Errol Flynn (as Robin Hood) also fills the screen with his own color--his acting irrepressibly joyful and his swashbuckling ever light-footed.  Another treat is Claude Rains as the evil, yet playfully mischievous, Prince John.  Rains is better known as the aging father to Jimmy Stewart in “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946).


The Society:   Again, a second week in a row, we go for the action with this classic tale.  We figured it would be a good bet for the girls in the wake of the hit, “Captains Courageous.”  And even Dad had long wished to see 1938’s “Robin Hood,” since it was partly filmed in his former hometown, Chico, California, where it is still legendary.
During our Old English dinner--which we ate grubby Old English-style--with our fingers--the girls asked if “Robin Hood” would be in color.  Dad played dumb which only added to their delight when the movie opened in brilliant Technicolor.  In our ninth week of our film society adventure this has been our first not B&W.  Kenzie especially expressed her enthusiasm, “It’s in color!  It’s in color!” she squealed at the opening scene. 

The Family Vote: 

Syd - 5 Stars - Robin Hood was a really great story, the scenes were in color and graphic.  The story had a strong sense of humor and it makes you feel good and fresh.  It’s way different than the Disney one.  It does not include animals.  Life must have been hard on people to do that kind of acting.  Robin Hood could have been Tarzan.  He liked Lady Marian and she liked him.  She acts so formal but she’s not.  They definitely didn’t follow the rule:  Don’t hit a girl.  I think it’s weird that Robin Hood and Lady Marian are from completely opposite classes and can fall in love.

Kayla - 5 Stars - I like the story of Robin Hood.  I liked all of the action.  I liked the part when all of Robin Hood’s men got into the trees and jumped down onto the soldier guys.  I like how Robin Hood always won, even though not immediately.

Kenzie Ann - 5 Stars – I really enjoyed this film.  It was the first film we’d seen in color, and the story was one that I’ve been attached to since childhood.  I loved the archery scenes, and how chivalrous he was, as far as sparing Gisbourne’s life because of the presence of Lady Marian.

Stacy - 5 Stars - I think I had seen the famous swing of Errol Flynn’s into the tree welcoming you to Sherwood Forest.  It has been used in many a media campaign, but now that I know it’s context, it means more.  I have never seen this movie before, but Disney’s “Robin Hood” is one of my all-time favorites.  It actually follows the storyline well.  I am always an easy sell when it comes to romance, and Olivia de Havilland was a perfect Maid Marian.  I love the scene when they are having the feast in the forest, where they have disrobed the Sheriff and Sir Guy of Gisbourne, dressed them in costumes and ate all their spoils.   
            When we watched the Disney “Robin Hood” the next day I kept thinking to myself what a good job they had done matching the cartoon characters to their character:  Robin Hood, a fox; King Richard, a lion; Sir Guy, a snake; and the Sheriff, a wolf. 

Ladd - 3 Stars - I had high hopes that “Robin Hood” would be another “Captains Courageous”—a 1930s action/adventure that didn’t date itself.  Although many of “Robin Hood’s” scenes developed real tension, particularly the banquet in Sir Guy’s castle.  He and Prince John are discussing the problem of Robin Hood poaching deer in the King’s Sherwood Forest, when in walks Robin and throws a deer down on the table.  He then proceeds to enjoy the banquet with everyone else, all the while surrounded by armed men who want to kill him.  Of course, he gets out of it.  But that’s the problem--he gets out of most everything way too easily, with Flynn’s endless good cheer, and after awhile it lost my interest.  At least Stacy and the girls had a great time, and they loved that we finally saw a color movie!  I guess Dad will have to keep his hopes on Russell Crowe.

Thanks for Dinner, Mom
Theme – Old England  (In fine traditional English form we ate the entire meal with our fingers!)
            I had guessed at the menu and when they brought out platters of roasted vegetables and roasted game, I knew I had done well.  I did not know that Yorkshire pudding is actually more of a bread than a pudding.  They turned out perfectly—in the shape just like in the picture!  Dessert was eaten in the morning as the chef was sicker than a dog mid-movie.  –Stacy

K.K. - I liked the pudding things, they tasted like German pancakes.  I liked eating it with pepper jack cheese, and I liked eating with my fingers.

Roasted Chicken
Roasted herbed red potatoes
Yorkshire puddings
Apple Juice
Dessert:  shortbread cookies,
and strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar

No comments: